AVG LinkScanner Free provides Real-time protection against online threats
- Clear safety ratings for organic and paid search results
- Compatible with all popular anti-virus and security suite products
- Analyzes pages, not sites, so you’re not blocked from a whole site if one page is poisoned
- Checks all pages at the only time that matters – when you’re about to click that link
- Fast and easy to install and run – won’t slow your system down
WOT is a free Internet security addon for your browser. It will keep you safe from online scams, identity theft, spyware, spam, viruses and unreliable shopping sites. WOT warns you before you interact with a risky website. It's easy and it's free.
As it is a colloborative service, you can participate in it by rating sites and adding comments that will help other users to know more about a site they visit.
If a site is rated as harmful, it is block that site from appearing on your site, and give you an option to stay away from the site or visit it if you insist. It is particularly helpful if you are doing a web search. The WOT plugin will add green, yellow and red circles in front of the site links in an web search indicating a safe, doubtful and harmful site. WOT has perhaps the worlds largest database of website ratings. You can add the plugin to Internet explorer as well as Firefox browser from this link.
WOT bosts of following features
- Over 5 million users
- Ratings for over 24 million websites
- WOT safety ratings appear beside search results in Google, Yahoo!, Live Search, Wikipedia, digg,
- WOT warns you about dangerous links in Gmail, Windows Live Hotmail, and Yahoo! Mail
- Read comments about websites from other users
- The WOT browser addon is light, easy to use, and updates automatically
- Option to block sites that are not safe for children
When Mcafee SiteAdvisor software is installed, a small site rating icons appear in front of your search results as well as a browser button and optional search box. Together, these alert you to potentially risky sites and help you find safer alternatives.
These site ratings are based on tests conducted by McAfee. The SiteAdvisor is free, easy to install and use. And Mcafee claims it doesn't collect any personally identifiable information. SiteAdvisor software works with Internet Explorer (Windows only) and Firefox (Mac and Windows). If you own a website, you can add your Website owners comments. You can also become a reviewer if you are interested in reviewing sites.
McAfee SiteAdvisor site ratings are based on information gathered from visits to websites using test computers. They conduct tests for a comprehensive set of security threats including e-mail practices, downloads, browser exploits, phishing, e-commerce vulnerabilities, website annoyances, and links (online affiliations).
You can visit McAfee site to download SiteAdvisor with this link.